(Article by nerdbastards contributor Mark Poynter, A.K.A Mordrun)
Many of you out there have a special place in your heart for the movie The Professional. That movie was touching, troubling, and immensely satisfying all in one big beautiful package. Hanna seems to be on the same track. This trailer blew me away. I would be in line at the theater at this moment if Hanna was already released in theaters.
Hanna begins with Erik Heller (Eric Bana), as ex-CIA operative who raises his 14 year old daughter Hanna (Saoirse Ronan) to be the perfect killing machine. Hanna mission: to eliminate a very specific person: Marissa Wiegler, an active CIA agent. The reasons, as far as the trailer and the film’s synopsis are concerned, remain a mystery. Release date is April 8, 2011.
1. Joe Wright – The guy knows how to make a movie. Pride and Prejudice – 7 Academy Award noms. Atonement – 7 golden Globe noms, 6 Academy Awards noms. The Soloist – OK, this one was weak, lots of production issues and release dates moved, not his best work.
2. Saoirse Ronan – Worked with Wright in Atonement and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress. She has acting chops.
3. Cate Blanchett – She can do no wrong in my book, at least ever since she played Irina Spalko in that Indiana Jones movie whose name is not to be spoken. (Sorry, I have a thing for Russian speaking beauties, don’t get me started on Angelina Jolie in Salt..)
4. Eric Bana – Give him the benefit of the doubt. After all, “If any of us get laid laid tonight its because of Eric Bana in Munich”
5. The Chemical Brothers are scoring Hanna.