DC Entertainment has posted the trailer for the first in a pair of animated movies telling Frank Miller’s epic tale of an aged Batman, The Dark Knight Returns to the Internet.
The Dark Knight Returns is truly one of the greatest comics ever created. Check any “Top 20” lists of comic and you’ll find The Dark Knight Returns along side The Watchmen, The Killing Joke, X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga, and other greats. If it’s not on the list above 20 then that guy or gal knows dick about comics.
Since there might be a few younger readers out there that may have never read comic, the story starts . . .
The Dark Knight Returns set in a near future where Batman is retired and Gotham City has slid into a dystopian state ruled by a gang of hooligans called The Mutants. The 55-year old Bruce Wayne is forced to don the cape once more, this time partnering with a female Robin to not only stop the Joker but keep the peace when the city falls into chaos after being hit by an electromagnetic pulse.
Then the shit really hits the fan and Batman ends up in a knock down drag out fight with none other than his oldest super-friend Superman. In this animated version the story is broken into two movies. The first deals with the books opening story line with Batman returning to a city overrun by gangs and violence.
The voice actors for the movie make an impressive list:
- Peter Weller, the fan-favorite star of the original RoboCop and guest player on shows like 24 and Dexter as Bruce Wayne/Batman.
- Ariel Winter, of Modern Family and Phineas and Ferb fame, as 13-year old Carrie Kelley/female Robin.
- Wade Williams, Prison Break, who also provided vocals for DC titles like Green Lantern: Emerald Knights and Batman: Under the Red Hood, as Harvey Dent/Two-Face.
- Michael McKean, This Is Spinal Tap and Clue (who briefly played Perry White on Smallville), as Dr. Wolper – the psychiatrist who releases Joker from Arkham.
- David Selby, star of the original Dark Shadows and Falcon Crest in a yet to be named role . . . Alfred?
The “Is it just me ? ? ?” section.
This NerdBastard is not sold on Peter Weller’s voice work in this trailer. He just seems to be stumbling over the lines. When ever I’ve read The Dark Knight Returns I’ve always heard an angry, annoyed, impatient Batman and I’m just not feeling that pissed off vibe in Weller’s voice. Maybe it’s because we don’t get to see any Joker or Superman in this trailer, that might be it.
Take a look at the trailer and let your fellow NerdBastards know what you think in the comments section below.
Part 1 of The Dark Knight Returns to hit shelves later this fall, followed by Part 2 in early 2013.
Get More: MTV Shows