The CW announced the early renewals for three of its most popular, and profitable shows, Arrow, The Vampire Diaries, and Supernatural. Arrow for its second season, the fifth season for The Vampire Diaries and an incredible 9th season for Supernatural. The renewal for Supernatural was a lock considering stars Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles both signed fantastic multi-season deals last year.
Mark Pedowitz, the President of CW Networks took to the CW Blog to make the announcement:
We said last year that one of our goals was to establish building blocks to grow on, and now with our new hit ‘Arrow’ and fan favorite ‘Supernatural’ on Wednesday night, and the continued success of ‘The Vampire Diaries’ on Thursday, we’ve been able to do that. Not only do ‘Arrow’, ‘Supernatural’, and ‘The Vampire Diaries’ perform well on-air, they’re also extremely successful for us both digitally and socially. I’m thrilled to have all three shows returning to our schedule next season.
Here’s some of the CW bragging points Pedowitz talked about for each show:
- Most watched CW show at an average 4.3 million viewers.
- Best CW series premiere since 2009.
The Vampire Diaries:
- CW’s highest rated series in the adults and women 18-34 age group.
- Trendrr’s number one “Social Program” for Network TV during weeks January 21st and 27th.
- Going into its ninth season the show has seen a dramatic upswing in viewers after pairing with Arrow. 15% among total viewers and 10% in adults 18-34 and 18% in adults 18-49.
Early renewals are only given to series whose pickup for additional seasons are never in doubt. CW still has a number of series straddling the renewal fence, 90210, Nikita, Hart Of Dixie and new series Beauty And The Beast as well as The Carrie Diaries, none of which have made any real impression on viewers of in the weekly ratings.
Of the three I only really watch Arrow, although I have been told repeatedly by others that both Supernatural and The Vampire Dairies are worth a look. Which of these three are on your DVR list?