Last week, Lost Girl went where it hasn’t gone before, but given its subject matter it probably should have (much like the season premiere “Caged Fae”). Except instead of a women’s prison, in “Eyes Wide Fae” it’s a sex club. Strangely enough though, with everything else going on the episode, the whole sex club idea was almost more of an afterthought.
We open with Bo and Lauren at the Dal looking for a little succubus snack, and while Bo does the deed with a stacked blonde, Lauren tries to find a more scientific way to curb Bo’s tremendous hunger. Kenzi’s doing some research too, but wait! Wasn’t Kenzi dragged away by some unseen force last week? Didn’t she have some terrible flesh-eating disorder on her arm?
Regardless, Kenzi’s found an unusual happening on the internet, a story about an average husband who spontaneously turned to goo in front of his wife. The husband was a regular (with his girlfriend on the side) at a sex club run by Roman, a Light Fae, a Bacchus, who feeds on the indulgences of humans. Business at the club is hopin’, but there’s more than one victim turning to goo, and after some undercover work, the team discovers that Roman is harboring a Manta, an giant squid like UnderFae that the club patrons would, ahem, play with if they’re looking for a new, ahem, game (so to speak).
But the big news this week is Bo kills again. The strumpet Bo and Lauren take home ends up dead, and at the crime scene, Dyson definitely smells Bo’s presence. Brought in for interrogation, Bo confesses that she has no idea what happened to the girl except that she was alive when they were done. Kenzi backs up the story, saying that she personally saw the woman leave their home, alive. But Bo let’s herself go while fighting the bad guys at the club, and for a minute there she seems completely out of control before Lauren’s able to talk her down. Whatever’s wrong with Bo, it’s getting harder to control.
Speaking of things that are wrong, there was something just a little bit off about Kenzi this week. She seemed more clingy than normal and she even tried to pay for her beer at the Dal, but most telling was that she ate some peanut laced Thai food, and Kenzi’s allergic to peanuts. So who is this wearing a Kenzi suit, and what have they done with the real Kenzi? Let’s look forward.
This week’s episode is called “The Kenzi Scale,” and in it we get some idea about what’s been going on with both Bo and Kenzi. Naturally, there are more questions than answers. Here’s what to look for:
1) Guess Who’s Going to Prison? – If you said whoever’s posing as Kenzi, you’d be wrong. Bo takes Faux-Kenzi to the Dal and tries to get her to confess, but turning the tables, “Kenzi” instead puts it all on Bo, who’s promptly jailed by Trick and the others.
2) Case of the Week – Trying to sort out the secrets and lies. Bo knows Kenzi is not Kenzi, but how can she prove it from her cell under the Dal? Meanwhile, the non-Kenzi is seeing her schemes maybe come apart, how long till Bo’s protests are finally heard by one of the gang? And Kenzi herself, how is she going to get out of her current predicament, tapped in a cave and guarded by UnderFae?
3) Opportunity Knocks – If there’s one person utterly jubilant about Bo’s predicament, it’s The Morrigan. She presses Tamsin to get proof that Bo is responsible for putting that Dark Fae in a coma, but Tamsin’s not so sure she wants Bo butt in Dark Fae custody anymore, especially after they share an adventure together in this episode. But The Morrigan warns Tamsin not to get sucked in by the “happy sunshine gang.”
4) Speaking of Tamsin… – We finally get to see this week what a Valkyrie is capable of, and let’s just say it’s not pretty. Literally. Tamsin’s Valkyrie face will give you a real Walking Dead vibe.
5) And Kenzi’s a What Now? – There may be some interesting implications in Kenzi’s future. Meaning that maybe she left her last visit to the Norn with more than a rash. But the Fae currently running around with Kenzi’s face is Inari, a Kitsune or Fox Fae. Inari has a knack for going all Fatal Attraction on anyone that might call her friend, but her power was taken by the Norn and bottled amongst the Norn’s other stolen items till Kenzi broke it during her Texas Chainsaw Massacre in last season’s penultimate episode. But there’s a line in there that has some pretty interesting implications for Kenzi. That perhaps her spilling of Inari’s power left her with more than a rash.
6) Trouble in Paradise – What about Lauren? Well, she goes along with the whole locking up her lover thing as it will give her an opportunity to study Bo and find out why she’s been killing people on the side. Bo, obviously, doesn’t take the betrayal well and promises Lauren that she’ll be more than a little upset if Kenzi dies while her girlfriend studies her from a cage.
7) Survey Says… – We do find out why Bo’s been going off the reservation since the beginning of the season. Obviously that’s a pretty big spoiler, and the revelation ultimately sets up what’s to come for the rest of the season. A hint? Sure, I can sum it up in one word: evolution. Let the guessing game begin.
8) Burning Questions – “Who died and made you king?” “Eating every day’s a bit much don’t you think?” “Who else would I be?’ “Would it kill you to smile?”
9) How does it end – “We have a lot of work to do.”
NEXT WEEK: Lost Girl takes the week off. See you March 4.