If there’s any film that has the potential to be THE summer blockbuster of the year, it’s J.J. Abram‘s Star Trek Into Darkness. The sequel has had almost no need for promotion, as internet hype, leaked details, and Benedict Cumberbatch’s ominous self have been more then enough to keep interest thriving.
To prepare for what will be the beginning of a long line of interviews and press, J.J. Abrams sat down with the entertainment site Omelete and talked the finer details of the upcoming science-fiction sequel. Over the course of the short five minute interview, J.J. discussed his character driven story, the challenges to making the sequel compared to the original and the ability to keep secrets while keeping the moviegoer’s experience unique. It’ll be interesting to see how Abrams’ answers change in a months time once everyone has been able to openly judge every critical detail and direction.
If you’re looking to skip ahead, here’s a handy dandy cheat sheet on Abrams responses:
- 0:15 – The character-centric plot of Star Trek Into Darkness.
- 0:45 – Abrams’ connection to Star Trek and how he handled the fan-favorite mythology.
- 1:20 – Talks about whether or not he feels accepted by the Star Trek fandom.
- 2:25 – The challenges of making the sequel versus the original film, as well as re-introducing all of the characters to the audience.
- 3:45 – Keeping secrets, from Alias to Lost to the last Star Trek movie, when most people know what will already be going on plot wise.
Star Trek Into Darkness stars Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg, Anton Yelchin, John Cho, Bruce Greenwood, Peter Weller, Alice Eve, and Benedict Cumberbatch. The film opens on May 15th in IMAX 3D and in 2D and 3D internationally on May 17th.