San Diego Comic Con, the nerd equivalent of making the trek to Mecca – all nerd must do it once in their lifetime – begins in just a few weeks. Now as observers (not Observers) know, TV has taken on a greater emphasis at the Con, with some TV panels even taking place in the hallowed Hall H, a space once reserved for only the biggest Hollywood blockbusters, and it looks like this year will be no exception. With four big new comic based series hitting screens this fall, and the Blu-ray release of classic stalled for years by miles of red tape about rights, this promises to be a very big year for TV at SDCC. To plan your trip accordingly if you’re going, or to plan your news gathering ability if you’re not, here’s the schedule of screenings and panels for TV shows at San Diego Comic Con, including a DC TV mega panel Saturday night in Hall H.
Here’s the full schedule with some color commentary.
WEDNESDAY, JULY 23 (Preview Night)
• Pilot screenings: The Flash (CW), Constantine (NBC), iZombie (CW)
Three very good reasons to get to San Diego a day early.
THURSDAY, JULY 24
• Dig (USA Network) The miniseries will feature Tim Kring, Carol Barbee and Alison Sudol on the panel, with Gideon Raff, Jason Isaacs, Anne Heche and Lauren Ambrose appearing live via satellite from Israel. 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Indigo Ballroom at the Hilton Bayfront.
• Batman: The Complete TV Series (Warner Bros. Home Entertainment) Adam West, Burt Ward and Julie Newmar will panel to promote the complete TV series’ release on Blu-ray and DVD. 6-7 p.m., Hall H.
• Hannibal (NBC)• Teen Wolf (MTV) Panel includes Tyler Posey, Dylan O’Brien, Tyler Hoechlin, Holland Roden, plus new cast members Shelley Hennig and Dylan Sprayberry, along with EP Jeff Davis.
• Childrens Hospital (Adult Swim) Panel includes Rob Corddry and cast. 6-7 p.m., Room 25ABC.• Witches of East End (Lifetime) Panel with stars Jenna Dewan Tatum, Julia Ormond, Madchen Amick, Rachel Boston, Eric Winter and Daniel DiTomasso. 5:45 p.m.
Hannibal should be a crowd-pleaser, but where’s it going to be? I assume the guest list is still in flux, but maybe SDCC organizers aren’t sure about what kind of turnout Hannibal will draw. Was Hannibal at the Con last year? I can’t remember.
To me though, the panel to beat is the classic Batman series with West, Ward and Numar there to promote the complete series Blu-ray release. It’s awesome that we’re finally getting that show for all its silliness and over-the-top acting on disc, and it should make for a fun hour in Hall H.
FRIDAY, JULY 25
• Outlander (Starz) Cast and creators expected to be in attendance. 2:15 p.m., Room 6A.
• Vikings (History) Stars Travis Fimmel, Katheryn Winnick,Clive Standen, Alexander Ludwig and showrunner Michael Hirst as well as History exec Julian Jobbs will attend. 4:45-5:45 p.m., Room 6A.
• Bates Motel (A&E) Showrunners Carlton Cuse and Kerry Ehrin will debut a new video with the cast before a Q&A with stars Vera Farmiga, Freddie Highmore, Olivia Cooke and Nestor Carbonell. 3:30-4:30 p.m., Room 6A.
• The Big Bang Theory (CBS) For the second year in a row, the writers will take center stage for a Q&A. 10-11 a.m., Ballroom 20.
• iZombie (CW) The midseason drama from Rob Thomas will screen the pilot, with a short Q&A to follow featuring cast Rose McIver, Malcolm Goodwin, Rahul Kohli, Robert Buckley and EPs Thomas and Diane Ruggiero-Wright. 11:30-12:30 p.m., Room 6BCF.
• Mike Tyson Mysteries (Adult Swim) Mike Tyson will preview his new animated comedy series on a panel that also features Rachel Ramras, Jim Rash and producer Hugh Davidson. 2:30-3:15 p.m., Indigo Ballroom.
• The 100 (CW) Video presentation and Q&A with the cast and EP Jason Rothenberg. 3:15-4:15, Room 6BCF.
• The Originals (CW) EP Julie Plec and co-EP Michael Narducci will be joined by stars Joseph Morgan, Daniel Gillies, Phoebe Tonkin, Charles Michael Davis, Leah Pipes and Danielle Campbell for a video presentation followed by Q&A. 4:15-5:15 p.m., Ballroom 20.
• Arrow (CW) Stars Stephen Amell, Katie Cassidy, David Ramsey, Emily Bett Rickards, Colton Haynes, Willa Holland, Paul Blackthorne and John Barrowman — with EPs Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim and Andrew Kreisberg — will unspool a video presentation and panel discussion previewing season three. 5:30-6:30 p.m., Ballroom 20.
• @Midnight live show (Comedy Central) 10:30 p.m., Balboa Theatre. RSVP required.
Interest in Arrow will be high after its action-packed season finale and stellar second season. Big Bang fans will probably be disappointed that its another panel with the writers, but I believe Johnny Galecki and Melissa Rauch made a surprise appearance last year, so there’s no reason to think that a couple of your favorite TV nerds might not pop up in due course.
SATURDAY, JULY 26
• The Vampire Diaries (CW) Stars Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley, Ian Somerhalder and Kat Graham join EP Julie Plec for a video screening and Q&A. 4-4:45 p.m., Ballroom 20.
• Constantine (NBC) Pilot screening followed by Q&A with stars Matt Ryan, Harold Perrineau and Charles Halford join EPs Daniel Cerone and David S. Goyer. 5:15-6:15 p.m., Room 6BCF.
• Person of Interest (CBS) EP Greg Plageman joins series stars for a special video presentation and Q&A. 6:15-7 p.m., Room 6BCF.
• The Flash, Constantine, Arrow and Gotham with appearances by casts and producers from all shows. 8-11 p.m., Hall H.
• Grimm (NBC) 3 p.m., Ballroom 20.
hat 8pm slot is the grand poobah here, although if I were going to SDCC I definitely wouldn’t miss the Person of Interest panel. It’s one of the most underrated (in terms of nerd appreciation) shows on TV, and after the way things were left off in May I could definitely do with some hints about what’s next for the show.
SUNDAY, JULY 27
• Supernatural (CW) Jared Padalecki, Jensen Ackles, Misha Collins and Mark A. Sheppard, along with EP Jeremy Carver preview season 10. The panel will feature an exclusive video presentation with series highlights and special features from the season nine DVD set. 10-11 a.m., Hall H.
• The Following (Fox) Stars Kevin Bacon, Shawn Ashmore, Sam Underwood and Jessica Stroup join EPs Kevin Williamson, Marcos Siega and Jennifer Johnson for a Q&A and special video presentation. 11:15-12:15 p.m., Hall H.
• Teen Titans Go! (Cartoon Network) Q&A with producers Michael Jelenic and Aaron Horvath and members of the voice cast. Will also include a special appearance by Puffy AmiYumi, the Japanese pop duo who created the theme song from the original Teen Titans animated series. 11:45-12:45 p.m., Room 6BCF.
Yeah. Question for The Following creators: Why does this show suck? And a follow-up: Why does this show suck so bad? Good thing that the guy who plays the creepy twins will be there to throw stuff at, but I digress.
There’s one interesting omission, isn’t there? Where’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.? Are there more TV announcements to come, or will they be folded in with the Marvel stuff? An intriguing query to leave us with…
Nerd Bastards will of course have full coverage of SDCC when it kicks off later this month.
Source: Comic Book Movie