For the twenty readers out there who are still holding onto your cassette tape players in hopes that a retro fad will make them relevant enough for new tapes to be produced, your prayers have been answered from on high. Way on high. Like outer space high. In an announcement that exploded across the Interwebz today like a ch-ch-cherry bomb, the Guardians of the Galaxy “Awesome Mix Vol. 1” soundtrack (and who didn’t?) will hit stores in the form of cassette tape—just like the one owned by Chris Pratt’s Star-Lord—on November 17.
There’s a catch, though: To purchase the cassette of the “Awesome Mix,” you’ll have to seek out an independent retailer partnered with Record Store Day. (Yes, there are still record stores out there. I was as shocked as anyone.) If you can manage that herculean feat, then you’ll just have until December 31 (the same day Funko’s Dancing Groot is released, incidentally) to get your own tape, or until supplies run out.
The tracks on the “Awesome Mix Vol. 1” are familiar to anyone who has already bought the CD or downloaded it off iTunes. Included on the mix are the following songs you can jam to while driving your own starship down the freeway.
1. Blue Swede – “Hooked on a Feeling”
2. Raspberries – “Go All the Way”
3. Norman Greenbaum – “Spirit in the Sky”
4. David Bowie – “Moonage Daydream”
5. Elvin Bishop – “Fooled Around and Fell in Love”
6. 10cc – “I’m Not in Love”
7. Jackson 5 – “I Want You Back”
8. Redbone – “Come and Get Your Love”
9. The Runaways – “Cherry Bomb”
10. Rupert Holmes – “Escape (the Pina Colada Song)”
11. The Five Stairsteps – “O-O-H Child”
12. Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell – “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough”
And the cherry on this bitchin’ sundae is that the tape’s holder bears the same written-in-ink playlist as Star-Lord’s does in the film.
The Guardians of the Galaxy “Awesome Mix: Vol. 1” will be released on cassette tape on November 17. Also be sure to preorder the Funko Dancing Groot, but only if you care about your loved ones. If not, just get them a Furbie. Those are still cool, right?