The centerpiece of the new Star Wars movie, The Force Awakens, at least in some quarters, is the return of the original cast members from the first three Star Wars movies. The role they play, and how big that role is, has been the subject of much rumor and speculation since it was announced that Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Peter Mayhew, Anthony Daniels and Kenny Baker would return for The Force Awakens. But now, new reports are saying that for those waiting patiently to get their first look at those returning actors in their old Wars roles will have to wait all the way to opening night to see them. Meanwhile, Luke Skywalker himself, Mark Hamill, is talking about how it felt the first time we climbed on board the Millennium Falcon again.
As we’ve previously reported, the next Star Wars trailer will come packaged with Avengers: Age of Ultron on May 1. Further, it was announced that the second trailer would feature our first look at Luke, Han Solo and Princess Leia since they appeared on screen last 32 years ago in Return of the Jedi. But now, a tip from Latino Review, and confirmed by /Film’s Germain Lussier (via Screen Rant) says that the second trailer, and indeed all promotion leading up to the release of The Force Awakens, will be Luke, Han and Leia free.
Note: I trust @Latinoreview when it comes to Star Wars stuff, but we SPECIFICALLY heard the original cast WON’T be featured in the marketing
— Germain Lussier (@GermainLussier) January 16, 2015
Further, Lussier said that the production wants to keep the “how” in how those three characters fit into the movie a surprise for the audience once it opens, and they want to de-emphasize the prominence of Hamill, Ford and Fisher since the new heroes played by John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, and Oscar Isaac will carry the sequel trilogy though past Part VII. The fascinating thing is that rumors during the script-writing process on The Force Awakens indicated that director J.J. Abrams wanted to beef up the role of those three characters in order to put them front and center in the new movie, and now that’s not the case? Or maybe we got it wrong all along.
The idea of setting the new trilogy up for a new generation is something Hamill mentioned in the quick interview posted below (via Comic Book.com). Following a screening of Kingsman: The Secret Service, in which he has a cameo, Hamill also talked about being on a Star Wars set, being directed by a Star Wars fan, and the sense of deja vu and feelings of appreciation he experienced the first time he stepped onto the Millennium Falcon in decades. Here’s the video:
Star Wars: The Force Awakens will be in theaters everywhere December 18.