banner

694px-Star_Wars_Logo

Is their trouble in a paradise far, far away?

Fans of Star Wars at one point or another have wondered what it would be like to sit in the director’s chair, but only a luck few will ever know what that’s like. Let’s say you become a wielder of cinematic dreams, and you were foolhardy enough to take on Star Wars. And let’s also say that you’re given your shot at the saga, and you get to take the keys to the Star Wars universe to make a movie of your own. With great power comes great responsibility though, and you realize just how big it is and what pressure comes with it. The fantasy of making an actual Star Wars movie might not meet up with reality, and Josh Trank may have just learned that lesson.

In a bizarre Friday night release, better known in the news business as “taking out the trash day,” the Chronicle director has announced that he is no longer part of the Star Wars experience as director of the second Star Wars Anthology film. This is Trank’s statement from EW:

After a year of having the incredible honor of developing with the wonderful and talented people at Lucasfilm, I’m making a personal decision to move forward on a different path. I’ve put a tremendous amount of thought into this, and I know deep down in my heart that I want to pursue some original creative opportunities. That said, the Star Wars universe has always been one of my biggest influences, and I couldn’t be more excited to witness its future alongside my millions of fellow Star Wars fans. I want to thank my friends Kathleen Kennedy, Kiri Hart, Simon Kinberg, and everyone at Lucasfilm and Disney for the amazing opportunity to have been a part of this. May the Force be with you all.

Well, that’s ambiguous. And the following statement from Lucasfilm’s Kiri Hart sheds no light either:

It was a privilege to collaborate with Josh. We are grateful for the energy and love of Star Wars that he brought to the process, and we wish him all the best.

Gareth Edwards’ Rogue One in the meantime has a release date, a star, and a wicked teaser as unrevealed at last month’s Celebration event in Anaheim, and if you noted the suspicious lack of anything announced concerning the Trank’s supposed, then you’re not the only one. Although Trank said on Twitter that he couldn’t attend due to a bout of flu, the rumor mill was churning that behind the scenes, the director was on a thin thread.

The rumor mill has further churned out speculation that several people involved with the production including screenwriter/producer Kinberg, who worked with Trank on the upcoming Fantastic Four movie, were all at their wits end with the filmmaker. The Kinberg connection is especially interesting, because it adds fire to the speculation that the course of the FF did not run smooth, a persistent stink on the production that it’s been unable to shake as we get ever closer to its release.

Too long; didn’t read: Trank is out, no one’s saying why.

We’ll have more news as it develops.

Source: /Film

 

Category: Film

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Advertisements