You don’t really need to find a way to get people more interested in Star Wars, but if you want to ratchet up the hype, you attach an A-list actor like Tom Hardy. Hardy’s come a long way since playing a Picard clone in Star Trek: Nemesis, so long that he’s now lined up a gig in the new Star Wars trilogy, but like the many big name cameos that appeared in The Force Awakens, Hardy’s role won’t involve counting script pages. Still, thanks to some reliable Star Wars spies, we have the spoilery details about the who and how Hardy will be appearing in Rian Johnson‘s middle chapter of the sequel trilogy.
Spoilers in 10.
So if you’re still here, we assume that you’re throwing caution to the wind on the whole spoiler thing. Okay, do you remember how that super-secret cameo by Daniel Craig was that he was a stormtooper? Well, funny story, because Hardy is also a stormtooper, and his appearance, like Craig’s has a humorous component.
This scoop comes courtesy of Making Star Wars, who were pretty reliable for secret deets during The Force Awakens production, but like all rumors and spoilers and such, take this with a grain of salt. Here’s the breakdown of Hardy’s cameo
- Tom Hardy plays a First Order stormtrooper.
- Said stormtrooper glimpses FN-2187 on a secret mission but doesn’t realize it.
- The “incognito” FN-2187 is surprised when the stormtrooper walks up behind him and slaps him on the ass.
- FN-2187 turns around and believes he’s dead. He’s surely going to be captured.
- The stormtrooper is elated to see his old friend from back during their First Order academy days.
- The stormtrooper congratulates FN-2187 on his promotion to Resistance infiltrator and spy.
- FN-2187 is free to go about his business to his amazement.
So is Hardy going to have an ass-slapping good time as a stormtrooper in Episode VIII? We’ll find out when the movie hits theaters everywhere Christmas 2017!