banner

Gambit-movie-Channing-Tatum

This time last year, 20th Century Fox still had the idea that 2016 was going to be the year of X-Men with the February launch of Deadpool, followed by the summer sequel X-Men: Apocalypse, and wrapped up in the fall with a solo Gambit movie. But a funny thing happened on the way to 2016. Gambit, it turned out, was a mess being rushed to meet a release date and even its original director, Rupert Wyatt, couldn’t hold on to this wild ride. Since then, Gambit has disappeared altogether on the Fox schedule, but just because the Ragin’ Cajun is out of sight, that doesn’t mean he’s out of mind.

While talking to The Hashtag ShowX-Men franchise writer and producer Simon Kinberg said that not only is Gambit still in the works, but the studio is aiming to get it before the cameras sometime in 2017. “We have a great script on that and hope to shoot that movie at the beginning — or, spring of next year,” Kinberg said.

The presumption here likely is that the early 2017 start date will allow Doug Liman time to finish up Chaos Walking, the film it looked like he passed on Gambit to do, before he moves on the card-throwing X-Man and his New Orleans adventure. Still, there were rumours as recently as last month suggesting that the film’s star, Channing Tatum, might be looking to jump ship. But perhaps the status of the production is more solid than we thought. On the other hand you have to wonder if everything’s so peaches and cream with Gambit, why won’t Fox stake out some real estate on the release calendar? There are still two dates open in 2017 and 2018 for untitled X-Men movies, likely one of them is reserved for Deadpool 2, so might Gambit be sneaking into one of the remaining three? Stay tuned.

The next X-Men movie will be the as-yet untitled third solo Wolverine movie on March 3, 2017.

Source: Geek Tyrant

Category: Film

Tags: ,

Advertisements