Jason Reitman‘s series of live readings at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art wraps tonight with The Big Lebowski, the tremendous 1998 Cohen Brothers comedy-drama starring Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Julianne Moore and Steve Buscemi.
We’ve now learned via Entertainment Weekly and Jason Reitman’s Twitter that playing the role of The Dude, Bridges pot-smoking, bowling-enthusiast, rug-loving man of leisure, is Seth Rogen, which is a bit weird because Bridges was playing against type, and I can’t honestly remember a role Rogen played where there wasn’t at least one scene where he was stoned. But hey, I assume Reitman knows what he’s doing.
Rounding out the rest of the cast for the live read are:
- Rainn Wilson will play Walter, originated by John Goodman
- Hank Azaria will play Donnie, originated by Steve Buscemi. He’ll also play the P.I. Da Fino and Karl Hungus.
- Nick Kroll will play The Jesus, originated by John Turturro. He’ll also play Jackie Treehorn and Tony the chauffeur
- Fred Savage replaced Patton Oswalt and will play Brandt, originated by Philip Seymour Hoffman. He’ll also play Smokey and the cop who finds The Dude’s car. He, Kroll and Azaria will together be the Nihilists.
- Christina Hendricks will be Maude Lebowki, originated by Julianne Moore.
- Catherine Reitman will by Bunny, originated by Tara Reid.
I can’t say a lot about the casting of Rogen, Wilson or Azaria, but I’d kill to see Hendricks read the eternal words of Maude Lebowski: “In a sense, yes. My art has been commended as being strongly vaginal which bothers some men. The word itself makes some men uncomfortable. Vagina.” And the whole coitus bit, too. Awesome.
Reitman’s previously hosted readings of The Breakfast Club, The Apartment, The Princess Bride, Shampoo, and Reservoir Dogs, and like the other readings at LACMA, the Lebowski one is sold out.
Anyway, check out this poster for the event, created by Matt Owen and curated by Gallery 1988, then put on the original film tonight and it’s almost like being there.