Bruce Greenwood

If you’re one of the few who didn’t make it out this weekend to see The Hobbit then chances are you didn’t see the new teaser trailer for Star Trek Into Darkness. Slightly different than the announcement teaser from last week, this teaser features a voice over from Pike (Bruce Greenwood) before the threatening voice of Benedict Cumberbatch takes over. Still no story details, but damn does this film look like it’ll be intense.

Star Trek Into Darkness opens on May 17, 2013. It stars Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Benedict Cumberbatch, Karl Urban, Anton Yelchin, Zoe Saldana, John Cho, Simon Pegg, Alice Eve, Peter Weller, and Noel Clarke.

Do you think this sequel will top J.J. Abrams‘ 2009 Trek film?

Source: Collider

Star Trek Into Darkness has been one of Hollywood’s best keep secrets. Their villain is both known and unknown at the same time, the script is under heavy wraps and J.J. Abrams‘ has managed to get away with showing a measly three frames of footage.

As of next month, fans of J. R. R. Tolkien and Peter Jackson who happen to be watching The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (in IMAX) will be treated to 12,960 times the amount of footage Star Trek then we’ve seen all year.

With Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg, Anton Yelchin, John Cho, and Bruce Greenwood all reprising their roles from the last film alongside newcomers Alice Eve and Benedict Cumberbatch, Paramount Pictures wants to get people in the seats. So what better way then to announce a nine-minute prologue for J.J. Abrams‘ sequel that will air ahead of the Jackson trilogy on approximately 500 IMAX screens?

Check out more in the jump.
(more…)

With today being the 46th year anniversary of Star Trek (*blowing on my kazoo*), I just knew some news regarding J.J. Abram‘s Trek sequel was going to be unleashed. And it has, just not officially. According to Comingsoon.net the sequels title has been revealed. Kirk and crew are going to need some friggin’ flash lights, because the title is -apparently- being named: Star Trek Into Darkness.

This news does not come from Abrams, the cast or anyone at Paramount Studios. Nope, just some good ole’ domain snooping. Comingsoon.net found two domain names that were registered yesterday through Markmonitor. Which is an anonymous domain registry service that has been used by Paramount Pictures in the past for recent URLs like their official G.I. Joe: Retaliation site. Those new Star Trek domain names include www.startrekintodarkness.com and www.startrekintodarknessmovie.

So, again, this is not official. However, Star Trek Into Darkness seems an apt name, considering the dark tones actors Chris Pine had said the film was going to have. He told Total Film in a recent interview:

There’s comedy, which I think J.J. does a great job of, but, like the first one, there’s some serious issues being dealt with. And I’d say the threat is even greater in this one.

The force [the Enterprise crew] are met with is much more frightening. It’s relentlessly action-packed and in terms of character development it goes places you’d never expect. The arc is huge for all the characters. It’s a really big story—I can’t hype it enough!

For me, I just hope all this darkness talk is a hint that the solar or lens flare problem has been corrected. *derp*

Star Trek 2 will star Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, John Cho, Bruce Greenwood, Simon Pegg, Anton Yelchin, Benedict Cumberbatch, Alice Eve and Peter Weller with a screenplay by Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, Damon Lindelof and that it will hit theaters on May 17, 2013 in 2D, 3D theaters and IMAX 3D versions.

 

Will Netflix Save ‘The River’?

Talks with Fox about resurrecting Terra Nova are ongoing, but Netflix has sets its sights on also bringing the ABC supernatural amazon series, The River, aboard. The River’s debut season just ended last week and with lackluster ratings and a luke-warm reception, a Netflix “Governor call” seems to be the only thing that can save the Oren Peli created found footage show.

Netflix has already debuted Lillyhammer, and will premier David Fincher’s US adaptation of House of Cards at some point this year (despite some behind the scenes bickering) and the streaming service is also planning on exclusively running a new season of Arrested Development next year, assuming the Mayan’s were wrong.

I’ve gotta say, while all these genre restoration projects warm my geeky heart, and while they will surely thrill the fans of these shows, aren’t there better shows out there that could use a second breath? Blastr says that Netflix is in talks with ABC on an overall deal that includes The River, how about breaking off another season of Better Off Ted? That’s just one of many, many shows I’d love to see make a return, feel free to throw out a few suggestions in the comment section and on our bookface page.