It seems that the rumor mill is in full gear for X-Men: First Class, the upcoming movie directed by Matthew Vaughan (who also directed Kick-Ass).
According to ComicBookMovie.com (via the SuperHeroHype forums), plenty of things have been revealed regarding characters and storylines.
However, just like the rumors I posted recently regarding Hawkeye being in Thor (read all about it here), it should be taken as speculation until we get concrete information.
That said, some of the tidbits below the jump are extremely interesting. Have a look and sound off in the comments to let us know what you think!
(Post by nerdbastards contributor Rachel Hill -Twitter @thatsabigwhatev)
Recent reports unveil some new cast members (yes more) to the X-Men: First Class movie due out in 2011. It is said that Rose Byrne and Oliver Platt will be added to the cast. Bryne is in the talks to be Moira MacTaggert a scientist and love interest of Xavier. In the X-Men mythos the character of MacTaggert plays a huge role helping form the Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters as well as helping to mold Jean Grey into the person she became. It will be interesting to see to what capacity this role will be played up to in the film. Also, will she have a Scottish accent?? Platt is set to what is called The Man in Black, which is a character that is not a mutant.
The film is set to start production in March and will be directed by Matthew Vaughn (Kick-Ass). X-Men: First Class is due out next year and i basically the formation of the X-Men. How they began and the relationship between young Xavier and Magneto. The movie should be interesting due to us discovering the origins of these characters; however, one should take note of the outcome of that last X-Men film that attempted to show the back-story of one our beloved characters with really sharp claws. Learning more about these characters is always fascinating but what will make this film better than X-Men Origins: Wolverine and worthy of being made?
Oliver Platt and Rose Byrne join the already crammed cast. If you’ve lost track of who’s who, here is the official casting thus far:
- James McAvoy is Charles Xavier aka Professor X
- Nicholas Hoult has been cast as Dr. Henry Philip “Hank” McCoy aka Beast
- Michael Fassbender (Inglourious Basterds, Hunger) is playing Eric Lensherr aka Magneto
- Alice Eve, the lead actress from She’s Out of My League, was in talks with Fox to play Emma Frost.
- Caleb Landry Jones (Friday Night Lights, The Longshots, The Last Exorcism) is Sean Cassidy aka Banshee.
- 19-year-old actor Lucas Till (Walk the Line, Dance of the Dead, Hannah Montana: The Movie, The Spy Next Door, and the upcoming Battle: Los Angeles) is Alexander “Alex” Summers aka Havok, the younger brother of the X-Men’s Cyclops.
- Kevin Bacon (Mystic River, Apolo 13, Sleepers) will play the villain (no name revealed thus far, although its rumored to be Sebastian Shaw)
- Jennifer Lawrence (Winter’s Bone) will play Mystique
- Twilight vampire Edi Gathegi will be playing the mutant named Darwin, who has “limitless mutation abilities being in a state of continual reaction, adapting to whatever his current situation demands.”
- Jason Flemyng (Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels) will play Nightcrawlers father Azazel.
news sources: slashfilm for Rose Byrne. Geektyrant for Oliver Platt
There have been many times in my life where I have been forced to make a decision. That decision is of course weather or not go see a movie. Back in the old days when tickets didn’t break the bank it was easy to throw a little money in the trash if you ended up suffering through a stinker of a movie. Now, with ticket and concession prices set to almost cruel proportions it’s no wonder people pirate movies on the internet. Now Hollywood has given us 2012. This is a movie that is so unbelievably bad, that it is not even worth your bandwith to download it for free. I kid you not, If I could actually afford the popcorn at the concession stand I would’ve thrown it at the fucking screen! Oh yeah, right, this is a review not a rant. Let me tell you why this movie is complete garbage…