Set your phasers to stun/heat/kill (depending on how you see fit) folks, as Paramount Pictures has finally found a new director to helm the third instalment of the mega-budgeted Star Trek reboot. With many directors in the running – including Star Trek: The Next Generation‘s Jonathan Frakes – the list finally became a two-man race, fortunately this didn’t involve any souped up muscle cars, or fuel injected nitro kits. The search for a replacement director went into over-drive – when J.J. Abrams left for another galaxy far far away – with names as far-out as Edgar Wright popping up online. Now Paramount seem to have found the man for the job. (more…)
The internet is an interesting beast. While a movie or franchise can spend millions on marketing a legitimately good movie, trolls across the planet can have it all tumble down with a few harsh keystrokes. On the other end of the spectrum, the internet has also helped get many projects off the ground that may have never even initiated lift off had it not been for the online campaigns that insisted the projects come to fruition, e.g. Veronica Mars and Deadpool. Well, it looks like the net may have done it again, this time in the form of William T. Riker aka Jonathon Frakes. Thanks, in part, to an online campaign, it appears that Frakes has reached out to Paramount Pictures in an effort to helm the next voyage to the final frontier. (more…)
Funny story. Remember last week when it was announced that Star Trek 3 director Roberto Orci was hired to help shepherd the new Power Rangers movie to the big screen with the assistance of X-Men: First Class screenwriters Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz? Well, Orci’s now saying that when this new Power Rangers flick arrives on the big screen, it will have a very important ingredient that will lead to universal success: continuity. “It’s got a continuity within the world,” says Orci. “I can’t tell you what, but it does have a continuity.” Which leads everyone who’s ever watched the series to say, “Power Rangers had continuity?” (more…)
The Internet has been on a slow boil the last couple of weeks as the whispers became rumors that morphed into talks and now have fully blossomed into confirmation that Robert Orci will direct the third Star Trek movie. Should you be worried? (more…)
THR reports screenwriters Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman are on board to pen the third installment of Marc Webb’s Amazing Spider-Man film series. Orci and Kurtzman, along with working on ASM 1 and 2, are best known for their work on the Transformers franchise and J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek reboot.
The highly anticipated Amazing Spider-Man 2, set for release next summer, will introduce Electro and Rhino (Jamie Foxx and Paul Giamatti).
Part three, allegedly, will present a new take on Spidey’s most famous foe: The Green Goblin.
Amazing Spider-Man 3 is due in theaters June 10, 2016.
Source: Cinema Blend
The other week, Star Trek Into Darkness writer Roberto Orci took to the Internets in response to an article on Trek Movie about fan’s at the Las Vegas Star Trek Convention rating Star Trek Into Darkness as the worst Star Trek movie ever. He wasn’t alone in his reaction, Simon Pegg was also a little hot under the collar about the whole thing.
Although Pegg has not reconsidered his response, and this NerdBastard doesn’t think he should, Orci cooled down a bit, decided he could have handled the whole thing much better, and took to the Twitter-verse for his own mea copa.
Now, everything he says is true, that wasn’t exactly the best way to address the problem, but we all know how late night Internet rage can quickly escalate into something we would never do in the bright morning sun.
Orci really didn’t do or say anything that bad or unforgivable when stacked up against many of the other Internet rants we’ve seen. On a scale of one to ten, his would only rate a 5 at best.
What do you think? Should he have even bothered except for his own peace of mind?
[Editor’s Note: Along with our coverage of The Ender’s Game Experience, Kristal Bailey attended the Ender’s Game press conference and learned a few interesting tid bits about the upcoming Lionsgate film. How she kept it cool while breathing the same air as Han Solo, I’ll never know.]
With all the controversy around Orson Scott Card, it’s hard to remember that Ender’s Game actually has nothing to do with the gay marriage debate. It’s not a plot point or thematic message within the film at all. The film follows young soldiers as they train for an interplanetary war under the tutelage of Harrison Ford‘s military commander.
In advance of their panel at San Diego Comic Con, Asa Butterfield, Hailee Steinfeld, Roberto Orci, Gavin Hood, and Harrison Ford sat down to chat with journalists. Here are the five most interesting things I learned from their press conference.
1. Han Solo and Graff are nothing alike.
Graff is a complex character who’s charged with the awesome responsibility of recruiting and training the young soldiers. He faces a lot of the moral issues involved in using young people for warfare, which are integral to the character’s personality and his story. Ender doesn’t face these moral issues until the end of the film really, so it all falls on Graff’s soldiers. The book deals with a lot of complex issues of social responsibility and the moral issues that one faces when one is part of a military establishment. Harrison Ford was, “just delighted to be involved in a film of such high ambition and talented people. Graff is a more complex character than Han Solo, [but] that doesn’t mean I regret Han Solo.”
2. They tried to use practical effects whenever possible.
Gavin Hood said, “you think of these movies as big CG events, but they’re really not. Whenever we could, we built sets that felt as real as possible. It really helps the actors feel like they’re in a real environment. The set directors did a great job in creating these spaces. In the Comic Con Fan Experience, you can see the detail even on the bunk beds and helmets – we had to pay attention to even how would they reflect light because you have to capture and work with that light in the camera.”
3. Gavin Hood’s Tsotsi and Ender’s Game aren’t all that different.
Gavin made Tsotsi, a $3 million movie, and now Ender’s Game. Deep down in both stories you have troubled kids trying to survive in a morally complex environment. This time, you get to play with some really cool toys, but at its heart is a great character story. Hood said, “I get to play with these visual effects and worlds, but also have a character driven story that touches on the human element.”
4. Roberto Orci thinks you don’t need film school nowadays.
When discussing how much thought they put in to bonus features, commentary, deleted scenes, etc that goes on to DVD/Blu-Rays now, producer Roberto Orci revealed that true film fans can learn so much from all these behind-the-scenes featurettes and bonus features that you don’t really film school. Gavin Hood chimed in that these special features are more the producers concern than the director. He was so wrapped up and buried in making the film at hand that he couldn’t think about the DVD/Blu-ray or potential sequels.
More San Diego Comic Con coverage coming your way, stay tuned!
A few days ago director J.J. Abrams popped by Conan bringing with him some much coveted Star Trek Into Darkness footage. The only thing missing was the footage, a second of Spock onscreen can hardly be called footage, right?
And yes, we feel ripped off about the minimal footage, but some people have been taking it much harder.
Since the reveal fans over TrekMovie.com have been shooting photon torpedoes filled with verbal abuse in the footage’s direction. It was only a brief piece of footage, something meant to increase our interest in the sequel, but fans have been seemingly taking it the wrong way. In defense of the anticipated sequel Trek writer Roberto Orci reportedly took it upon himself to take to the Trek forums.
Did he call the Trekkies out? No, he reassured everyone of what they can look forward to seeing:
I guess you will have to show me the marketing handbook you are using to question our schedule. Appreciate that you wanna see things ASAP. Delayed gratification is not a strong characteristic of some folks. I get it. All I can say is:
Relax. the movie is gonna melt your face right off. Your eyeballs are going to bleed. And you’ll thank us 😉
“Our eyeballs our going to bleed.” Those are some pretty bold words from Orci, considering that a second of footage has received so much backlash, but Star Trek Into Darkness is still in post-production and is months away from a proper reveal.
Abrams, Orci and everyone else involved in the Star Trek “alternate universe” are doing this for a reason, it’s why Hollywood has made blockbusters out of marketing campaigns. We should reserve our judgement for when we actually have something longer to look at and can dissect it for hours on end.
Star Trek Into Darkness is set to open theaters everywhere May 17th, 2013.
Hey, look, it’s that thing you never asked for! Another attempt at a Van Helsing flick with Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and Tom Cruise signed as producers with Cruise also attached to star. Yay. This news came with the announcement from Universal that Kurtzman and Orci would also be given the chance to reboot The Mummy franchise.
Actually, Cruise’s name has been linked with a Van Helsing film for some time. Back in 2010 he was attached to the project when Guillermo del Toro was considering it, and that’s how Cruise became involved in del Toro’s almost At the Moutains of Madness movie.
Does a Van Helsing movie deserve another shot? The 2004 attempt starring Hugh Jackman was pretty terrible, so much so I figured that was it, but this is Hollywood where original ideas are a rare commodity. What about Cruise as the star, does that inspire you with more confidence?
Here’s the press release:
Universal Pictures today announced the studio has signed a two-year first-look production deal with one of the leading writing/producing teams in the entertainment industry, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, and their K/O Paper Products banner. The duo will kick off their new relationship with Universal by reimagining titles from the studio’s library including Van Helsing and The Mummy. The announcement was made by Universal Pictures Chairman, Adam Fogelson and Co-Chairman, Donna Langley.
Kurtzman and Orci have collaborated with some of the industry’s top creative minds including J.J. Abrams, with whom they wrote the third installment of Mission: Impossible, which grossed nearly $400 million at the worldwide box office. In 2007, they wrote Transformers and went on to write Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen in 2009. Together, those films grossed more than $1.5 billion worldwide. More recently, the pair wrote and executive produced 2009’s Star Trek, which grossed more than $385 million worldwide. Accompanying their impressive film resume, Kurtzman and Orci have found tremendous success in television, having created the series Fringe, writing/producing Alias and in 2010, producing the reboot of Hawaii Five-O. They also currently executive produce the highest rated show on Hasbro’s The Hub, Transformers Prime.
“Alex and Roberto are extraordinarily talented writers and producers who know the value of a great story in building successful tentpole films,” Fogelson and Langley said in a joint statement. “They have been a major part of some of Hollywood’s biggest movies and television shows in recent history, and we’re eager to have them build on that success at Universal.”
“We’re thrilled to call Universal Pictures our home,” said Kurtzman and Orci. “From the moment we sat down with Adam, Donna, Peter, Jeff and the entire Uni team, there was an instant flow of inspired ideas. They really understand the importance of building a strong creative team and giving our shared projects their full support. We’re proud to start making movies that will live as part of Universal’s enduring legacy.”
Kurtzman and Orci’s K/O Paper Products will develop and produce a modern reimagining of Universal library titles including The Mummy, alongside producer Sean Daniel and writer Jon Spaihts. The pair will also develop and produce Universal’s reimagined Van Helsing, with Tom Cruise attached to star in and produce the film.
Kurtzman and Orci’s upcoming projects include writing Sony’s next installment of The Amazing Spider-Man; producing Now You See Me, for Lionsgate Summit, set for release in March 2013; and producing Orson Scott Card’s Ender’s Game, also for Lionsgate Summit. Kurtzman and Orci wrote and produced People Like Us, which marks Kurtzman’s directorial debut and is scheduled to be released in June 2012, and wrote and produced the second installment of Star Trek, set for release in 2013. The pair most recently rewrote All You Need Is Kill for Warner Bros., with Tom Cruise attached to star, Doug Liman to direct and Erwin Stoff to produce.
Kurtzman, Orci and the rest of their K/O Paper Products team, including President Bobby Cohen, will be housed on the Universal lot. Former assistants Ben Kim and Kim Cavyan will come aboard as creative executives. Kurtzman and Orci are represented by CAA and attorneys Michael Gendler and Kevin Kelly of Gendler & Kelly, APC.
Paramount Pictures has today announced that principal photography has commenced in Los Angeles, on the sequel to Star Trek from director J.J. Abrams. There has been no conclusive information on what this sequel will be about, but hey… at least it’s finally happening. Lens flares here we come…
Here’s the full press release with the announcement:
LOS ANGELES, Jan. 14, 2012 – Paramount Pictures announced that principal photography has commenced in Los Angeles, CA on the sequel to STAR TREK from director J.J. Abrams. The film will be released on May 17, 2013 in 3D. The 2009 re-launch of the “Star Trek” franchise by Abrams was met with critical acclaim and a worldwide gross of over $385 million at the box office.
Paramount Pictures and Skydance Productions present a Bad Robot Production of a J.J. Abrams Film. Returning to their posts on the Enterprise are John Cho, Bruce Greenwood, Simon Pegg, Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, and Anton Yelchin. They are joined by new cast members Benedict Cumberbatch, Alice Eve and Peter Weller.
Based upon “Star Trek” created by Gene Roddenberry, the film is produced by J.J. Abrams, Bryan Burk, Damon Lindelof, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci. The script was written by Alex Kurtzman & Robert Orci & Damon Lindelof.
Jeffrey Chernov, David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Paul Schwake are the executive producers. The director of photography is Dan Mindel, ASC, BSC. The production designer is Scott Chambliss. The film is edited by Maryann Brandon, A.C.E. and Mary Jo Markey, A.C.E. The costume designer is Michael Kaplan. The music is by Michael Giacchino.
The film will be released May 17th, 2013 in 3D. The 2009 re-launch of the ‘Star Trek’ franchise by Abrams was met with critical acclaim and a worldwide gross of over $385 million at the box office.